I’m trying some new things with show previews so they aren’t boring everyone, including myself, to tears. For this installment I’m doing the top ten Josh Ritter songs to make that special person in your life swoon. Think of it as a post-Valentine’s day reminder that love exists for more than just one day a year.
If you think of a song that you think deserves to be on this list, post a comment and I’ll take it into consideration. The links will guide you to videos of the full song.
10. Here At the Right Time-“When I met you you were sick but you did not know why I was a pretty poor cure But my love for you was always sure The bucket was broken But the water was pure”
9. Snow Is Gone- “I’m underneath your window now—it’s long after the birds have gone to roost. And I’m not sure if I’m singing for the love of it or for the love of you. But I’ve flown a long way honey hear my confession then I’ll go. I’d rather be the one who loves than to be loved and never even know”
8. Naked As A Window-“Do you remember the time I told you to take off your clothes? You were naked as a window. But I’d take all that nothing over nothing at all”
7. Another New World-(technically this is about a boat, but still a great love song) “We talked of the other worlds we’d discover as she gave up her body to me And as I chopped up her mainsail for timber I told her of all that we still had to see. As the frost turned her moorings to nine-tail and the wind lashed her sides in the cold I burned her to keep me alive every night in the lover’s embrace of her hold”
6. Empty Hearts-“There’s a friend that I have. And for her I’ll go back. You see all of these empties that I’m holding. They’re too much for a man. Empty arms, empty hands. And she’ll know me by the sound of my hoping”
5. Lantern-“So throw away those lamentations we both know them all too well. If there’s a Book of Jubilations we’ll have to write it for ourselves. So come and lie beside me baby, let’s write it while we still got time”
4. Good Man-“Last night there was a horse in the road. I was twisting in the hairpin. My hands held on my mind let go And back to you my heart went skipping. I found the inside of the road. Thought about the first time that I met you. All those glances that we stole. Sometimes if you want them then you’ve got to
3. The Curse-“He opens his eyes, Falls in love at first sight with the girl in the doorway. What beautiful lines, heart full of life. After thousands of years, what a face to wake up to”
2. The Temptation of Adam-“Then one night you found me in my army issue cot And you told me of your flash of inspiration You said fusion was the broken heart that’s lonely’s only thought And all night long you drove me wild with your equations
1. Kathleen-“All the other girls here are stars, you are the northern lights. They try to shine in through your curtain, but you’re too close and too bright. They try and they try but everything that they do is the ghost of a trace of a pale imitation of you”
Come out to the Vic on Thursday night to hear these songs, and many other great ones, live with Josh Ritter and the Royal City Band. Scott Hutchison of Frightened Rabbit opens.